The teens and I are working towards creating a mural for the Skate park at Muriwai Beach, Auckland at our Collaborative, Project based art workshop for youth (12+). The creative process leading up to this final goal is more complex than I expected and to be honest, I've lost some sleep over this one!
We began the creative process by looking at the space and deciding on the best size and placement for the mural. We researched street art and murals, shared and discussed them, and collected the works we liked and thought would suit on individual Pinterest boards. So far so good. Then it came to actually designing this thing. Should we work together or individually on the design? One design over 3 boards or 3 designs? And what to design and HOW!!!???
After 3 challenging evenings of drawing up numerous plans, we have decided on a design that we think will suit the space and the users, will be attractive and fun, and will appeal to the community.
We made our 'ídeal colour palette' in pairs out of Dulux paint samples and will make the final selection from our donated paints from Dulux Trade Centre in Westgate. So hard to make the final choice!
And we've painted the plywood boards with primer, again kindly supplied by Dulux.
We discussed last night what a great learning experience this part of the process has been. Great creative and critical thinking, problem solving, modifying, making decisions, justifying, discussing..and some art and design skills and techniques thrown in! We've all felt unsure and a little lost with ideas at times but the group pushed through these feelings and kept persevering, and have now come through with a great outcome for our final design. The light at the end of the tunnel is slightly brighter!! And the home baking helped (thanks Jade and Ella!)